UnRarX is an application for Mac developed by Cocoa that gives us the possibility to decompress RAR files using the interface of the program and not having to use command files. You'll only have to double-click a RAR file in Finder and it will be unpacked.
Here is how to install a free command line UnRAR tool (a RAR file extractor) and the RAR tool on Mac OS X. It’s simple and did I mention it’s free?
Free Unrar For Mac Os X
There is an image at the end of this post showing the steps taken in Terminal. Also, if you have Homebrew installed, you can use this for the installation of UNRAR. See instructions further down the page.
- Title: UnRarX 2.2 for Mac File size: 733.02 kB Requirements: Mac OS X; Language: English Available languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese.
- 1 UnRAR is a file archiver to open all compressed files or to create new archive. 1 UnRAR is developed for Windows 32/64 bit and Mac Os/X. Easy to use and Easy interface. With 1 UnRAR you can open and archive all file format. Download RAR & UnRAR 2020 for Windows or Mac OS.
- Unzip RAR for Mac OS X: Best alternatives Check out alternatives to Unzip RAR for Mac proposed by our editors and user community. StuffIt Expander Free. StuffIt Expander supports a wide variety of files you download everyday on the web or receive in email. More than 30 formats are supported including archives.
Download latest RAR for OS X “RAR 5.2.1 for Mac OS X” (or a later version if there is one) from RARLab.
Assuming that file is downloaded to your ~/Downloads folder, double click it to extract the files. You should now see in your ~/Downloads folder a folder called ~/Downloads/rarosx-5.2.1 (the number will be different if you downloaded a newer version since I late updated this post). In that folder is a /rar folder. So the full path is ~/Downloads/rarosx-5.2.1/rar
If you downloaded it to some other location then your file path will be different. Whatever it is, make a note of it.
Unrar Mac Os X Terminal
Open Terminal.app. Just type Terminal into Spotlight (Command-Space to quickly access Spotlight). In Terminal.app type or paste the following (again remember to change the version number if you have a later version):
For OS X up to 10.9.x (if using Yosemite, first follow instructions as indicated a little further down the page)
Now type or paste:
Whilst you’re at it, you might as well install the RAR tool too. Use this command in Terminal:
For OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)
In Apple OS X 10.10.x (i.e. Yosemite) there is no /usr/local/bin folder by default. So you will need to first create this folder.
Now following the above instructions “For OS X up to 10.9.x”
After you hit enter on that command Terminal will prompt you for your password. Type it in and hit enter.
To test the installation went okay simply type unrar into Terminal. You should see a lot information appear in terminal. This is simply the details on how to use unrar and it shows that unrar is install.
Now you can UnRAR rar archives from the Command Line in Terminal.
To do an extraction use the x switch as shown below.
Unrar Files Mac Os X
TIP: To save yourself typing out the full path to the RAR file, you can simply grab the file in Finder and drag it onto Terminal. Do that after you’ve typed in unrar x(space)
There you go. All done.
Here’s a screenshot of showing the steps taken in Terminal.app
Using Homebrew to install UNRAR
If you have Homebrew installed on your system, you can also use that to install UNRAR. Just use this command:
Note, it only installs UNRAR. If you also need RAR then you’ll have to use the instructions I posted above.
Other neat things you can do with command-line RAR/UNRAR
– Extracting RAR archive files from the command-line
– Repair damaged RAR files on Mac OS from the command-line
– Testing RAR archive files for corruption in Mac OS X from the command-line
Download 7-Zip for MacOS. 7Zip is a great app that should be included on iTunes. As productivity is a concern on all Apple devices, the development of 7Zip would be a great delight for all its users. I mean, why not? It is the most powerful and secure archiving and file compression tool in its category and field. For more resources about 7Zip for other operating systems, check out our other articles on 7Zip.
So, you are one of the opulent citizens of the society or perhaps meticulous with the software and security, thus, you prefer using Mac computers. As a matter of fact, some programs and software for Windows, Linux, and for Mac are programmed differently. This goes the same with 7Zip for Mac.
By default, Mac OS X is incapable of handling these files. But this shouldn’t be much of an issue as there are lots of other archiving tools available that can open a .7z file and other file compression formats.
The 7Zip file format is considered a better file compression format because of its high security and overall stability. It 7Zip can compress any file much better than ZIP and WinRAR or WinZip. This makes 7Zip safer and a much better choice.
- 1 A Walkthrough on 7-Zip for Mac
- 1.1 Reminder
A Walkthrough on 7-Zip for Mac
Keep on reading as we are going to walk you through on the steps for opening .7z archive files regardless of what version of Mac OS you are using. Don’t worry, it is easy and quick to do even it gets an error cannot open a file as archive sometimes. Here’s how it goes.
- Download “The Unarchiver” first. The latest version is 4.2.2 and support macOS 10.7 or later. the file is 13.6 MB. You can either download it from the Mac App Store or click here for direct download.
- The app is relatively small so you should be able to get it installed for a few seconds depending on your internet speed.
- As soon as The Unarchiver app finishes installing, open it and you will see the file association list.
- Launch the Unarchiver and there you’ll find the file association list, inform the Unarchiver to associate it with .7z files.
- The moment that you’ve associated the Unarchiver with .7z you could then double-click any .7z file on your Mac computer. It will then open and uncompress like other archive format or launch Unarchiver and just drag and drop the 7z files to the utility.
This is everything that you have to know in opening any .7z archive files saved on your Mac computer. After installing the UnArchiver and associated it with .7z 7Zip files, you may now launch the .7z archive simply by double-clicking on it. Inside the UnArchiver utility, your file will open and decompress the original 7z file. It will exit the app automatically when it is finished. It is possible to directly open the Unarchiver and open the file in the Unarchiver directly where it’ll be extracted.
Since 7Zip archives have undergone a strong compression procedure, it sometimes takes a while in order to completely extract large 7z files. Don’t be surprised as well if the 7Zip has expanded to something bigger than the original file size as the size of the archive. This is totally normal. Just be sure that you have enough disk space to accommodate all the uncompressed data.
Unarchiver is a well-known solution to all kinds of archive formats available on Mac. It’s been discussed as an alternative when you have to unRAR and open RAR files in Mac OS and it can open virtually any archive format you might come across. This can include but not limited to:
- bzip and;
Due to its expansive nature and free of charge, it is a wonderful addition to your Mac software toolkit. Well, it is comparable to a Swiss army knife but for computers.
The Complete Package
The Unarchiver provides support to every release of the Mac OS software that’s in use. This is regardless if you’re using the latest release, Sierra, macOS High Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Snow Leopard, Yosemite, and so forth. It’ll work and can get the job done in opening and decompressing zip as well as other archive formats available.