It is very easy to create a custom icon for any file or folder on your Mac. Changing the appearance of different file or folder icons will help you easily locate and identify your files and folders.
Mac folder Icons - Download 5036 Free Mac folder icons @ IconArchive. Search more than 600,000 icons for Web & Desktop here. You can send a copy of a file or folder to a nearby Mac, iPhone, or iPad right from the Finder. Click AirDrop in the sidebar to get started. See Use AirDrop to send files to devices near you. You can also select a file or folder in the Finder, then click the Share button (or use the Touch Bar) to send it using Mail, AirDrop, Messages, and more.
Do you see wrong document icons instead of the icon associated with the app / file etc? Sometimes, the icons for your files and folders may appear as generic white documents (blank page image with folded down corner). Sometimes, not all, but some of your folder icons may appear as generic document icons. Some users said that this problem they discovered this problem after upgrading to the latest version of macOS. If you are having this problem, this article teaches you how you can restore your icons.
Free Icons For Mac
How to fix Mac file icon problem
Please try each step until your issue is fixed.
1. Update your Mac if there is an update available.
2. The first thing you should try is to restart your Mac in Safe Mode. This will do some system cache cleaning and that may solve your issue. Here is how:
- Turn off your Mac
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the Shift key
- Release the key when you see the login screen
- Enter your password to log in (you may have to log in a few times)
- Now you are in Safe Mode.
- Are your file icons still generic? Either case, restart your Mac. This time start your Mac normally, without pressing the Shift key.
3. If you are still having this problem, try the steps below. Here is how:
- Open the Terminal app (Applications / Utilities) and enter the following command:
- Press enter
- It may take some time, wait for the cursor to return normal.
- And then restart your Mac.
4. If Safe Mode does not work, let’s try to rebuild macOS’s Launch Services. This is because what Launch Services do is to manage app and document associations. Here is how:
- Open the Terminal app. (Applications / Utilities, or you can use Spotlight)
- Enter the following command and hit enter:
- It may take a few minutes so just wait.
- When it is done, restart your Mac
Mac Os Change Icon For File Type
5. If you are having this problem with apps, meaning if you see generic icons for some apps, here is what you can do:
Mac Change Default Icon For File Type
- Go to Finder
- Click Go and then Go to Folder
- Type the following command and then hit go
- Drag Cache.db to the Trash and then restart your Mac.
Mac Os Icons Download
If you are still having issues, contact Apple Support.