Earlier in the week we discussed three of the best free M4V video converter in the world to convert DRM-free M4V to MP4 on PC and Mac while providing you the solution to convert DRM-ed M4V to MP4 for good. Here in this article we are going to focus on the recommendation of some top free media players for playing M4V videos or other media formats with high performance on both Windows and Mac OS for your reference. These top picks for the best free M4V media players introduced in the following review are chosen mainly based on the popularity, ease of use, supported media formats, performance, and so on.
Note: These best M4V media players we are talking about in this article are merely for playing DRM-free M4V video files instead of the DRM-protected ones from iTunes since the latter can only be played properly with iTunes itself or QuickTime rather than any other non-approved media players. If you have any need to play the DRM-ed iTunes M4V movies and TV shows on the common media players mentioned below, you can simply find the solution in the end of this article.
When searching for the best video player for Windows, Daum PotPlayer could be the no.1 choice for it's lightweight, free, and capable of playing just about every file format, codec, media container, or type of file you throw its direction with ease, like VLC does but with more skins to customize the UI than VLC. Among the best free video player out there, Pot Player is an incredibly powerful program. It has a massive array of codecs built in and offers support for not only 360-degree and 8K videos, but. If you are looking for a lightweight video player for Mac, VLC media player is the best player for your MAC OS X computer. All other video players will also perfectly help you in. This best video player Mac supports all those codecs making the playback of high-quality video files a breeze. Realplayer can play all formats of videos, this best video player Mac is a universal media player that automatically recognizes the file format of the video or audio file you want to play. So you can count on it to. VideoLAN, VLC, VLC media player and x264 are trademarks internationally registered by the VideoLAN non-profit organization. VideoLAN software is licensed under various open-source licenses: use and distribution are defined by each software license. Design by Made By Argon. Some icons are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0+.
- See Also:Best Free M4V to MP4 Video Converter for Mac & Windows
VLC Media Player (Windows, Mac OS X)
As one of the first 'play anything' media players in the world, VLC is a free, portable, open-source and cross-platform media player. It earned its reputation a long time ago for being fast and flexible, making the process painless, and packing just enough features. It is capable of playing just about any media format you can imagine, including M4V(DRM-free), MP4, AVI, WMV, etc. and even the Internet radio and other various streaming protocols. It features an assortment of customization options for quickly swapping viewing modes and tweaking the toolbar with additional controls. Besides, VLC also sports a number of optional third-party plugins to extend its features. Generally speaking, VLC Media Player is the best media player to go if you are looking for a program offering robust file compatibility, versatile playback and frequent stability updates.
When searching for the best video player for Windows, Daum PotPlayer could be the no.1 choice for it's lightweight, free, and capable of playing just about every file format, codec, media container, or type of file you throw its direction with ease, like VLC does but with more skins to customize the UI than VLC. In addition to broad format support, PotPlayer also gives you a wealth of features and controls to get your video playback looking just the way you like. What's more, it also packs filters for noise reduction, deinterlacing, brightness, contrast, hue, etc.
Another popular media player to Windows users is KMPlayer, which would be highly recommended if you are looking a great yet light alternative to the many unnecessarily feature-bloated media players available without skimping on quality features. Though it often runs slower that similarly-equipped programs on this top media player list, it's still worthwhile given its slick, jet-black UI and capable tools. Once set up properly, the gorgeous interface is a snap to navigate, providing a highly customizable media center for most audio and video formats. On top of KMPlayer, it's bundled with live URL broadcasting support and remains completely devoid of adds urging users to upgrade to the premium version of the service.
DivX (Windows, Mac OS X)
For both Windows and Mac users, DivX is a fully-formed, universal and refined media player with user-friendly controls and intuitive interface. The same as the other best video players in this review, DivX is able to handle most formats you throw at it — whether it be the software's native DIVX format or more-accessible options like MP4, M4V and AVI. It is stable in performing and produces excellent playback when watching video or listening audio, though its tool set is by no means overwhelming. Besides, it offers quick options for selecting the viewing sizes and burning media files to DVD discs, with additional options for streaming videos, music and photos to DLNA-compatible home devices such as your PS3 or Samsung Galaxy Note II, etc.
Solution to Play iTunes DRM M4V with Any Media Player
As we mentioned in the beginning, the iTunes movies and TV shows are protected with DRM and can only be recognised by iTunes and QuickTime. It's impossible for you to play the DRM-protected iTunes M4V files on any of the best video players listed here unless the DRM protection is stripped off. Now we'll provide you a simple way to get rid of the DRM from iTunes movies so that you can play the iTunes M4V videos on VLC, KMPlayer, PotPlayer and other common free media players.
The smart iTunes DRM removal tool is TunesKit DRM M4V Converter for Mac/Windows which is dedicated to converting DRM iTunes M4V videos to common MP4 with lossless quality preserved. It's also able to keep the original AC3 5.1 surround sound, subtitles, Closed Captions during the M4V to MP4 conversion. You are suggested to find more tutorial to convert DRM iTunes M4V to media players from this entrance: Tutorials of Converting iTunes M4V to Common Media Players >>
Nick Orin is a review writer, software geek and Mac OS enthusiast. He spends all his free time in searching useful software and gadgets to share with others.
Video Player for MAC OS X – Which is the best video player for Mac? See the list of top 10 best Video players for MAC OS X
If you like watching videos and movies on your MAC OS X, you should have good powerful video players which can support any format and give the HD view of all the movies.
MAC OS X is having a very limited number of media players available and it can be difficult sometimes to select the best video player for Mac. Specially, if you are a new Mac user and don’t have any ideas of which is the best video player for Mac? Or, how to download best video player for Mac OS X?
So, if you are looking for the best video player for Mac then you are at the absolute right place as today we are going to share the top 10 best video players for MAC OS X in this post.
Related tips you might like »»
10 Best Video Players for Mac OS X
Since, the default video player of Mac OS X doesn’t support some video file formats like MKV, AVI, FLV, etc. So, you need to install a third-party media player that supports all video file formats on Mac.
In this guide, we have gathered some best video players for Mac OS X which allows you to play any file formats like MOV, MP4, QuickTime, AVI, MPEG, some WMV, DVD ISO file, etc. So, let’s have a look at the list of top 10 best video players for MAC OS X:
(1) VLC Media Player
The first video player for MAC is the VLC Media Player. This is an open source software which you can use to watch all your favorite movies and videos. One of the reasons that you need to try VLC on your MAC OS X is it comes with easy to use interface and supports many different file formats.
Some of the most exclusive features of VLC Media Player are:
- Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix etc.
- Completely Free, no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
- Can do media conversion and streaming.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed: MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3 and much more.
(2) Macgo Mac Media Player
Macgo Mac Media Player is a best free media player for Mac OS X with high definition quality of up to 1080P/4K Video and DTS5.1 audio system. Macgo Mac Media Player offers a lot of playback options. You can watch the movies and videos in foreign languages by taking help of the subtitles. There are many themes also available for this video player which will help you to customize it. You can download best video players for Mac for free.
Some most important features of Macgo Mac Media Player are:
- Macgo Mac Media Player is 100% FREE to use
- Support (HD) high definition of up to 1080P/4K Video and DTS5.1 audio
- System Requirements for the Mac Version: Mac OS X 10.6 – 10.11 El Capitan
- Almost all kinds of media formats, like DVD, videos, audios and photos can be played with it
- Even, it can play on iPhone / iPad (mini / Air) / iPod touch with AirX feature available
- Quite adjustable audio and video settings, and amazing themes
(3) Elmedia Player
Elmedia Player is also a well known best free media player for Mac OS X. This software can not only be used for watching videos but also for listening to songs and streaming online movies and videos from Youtube. To get the best movies experience, there are advanced features in this video player such as 10 band equalizer, brightness control, contrast, saturation among many others.
Some of the most valuable features of Elmedia Player are:
- A multifunctional free media player for Mac
- It can play virtually all media files on your Mac
- Allows you to watch online videos from the app window
- Download videos and soundtracks from YouTube
- Grab a still from a video or make a set of images
- Convert Projector EXE files into SWF format
- Having video tuner to adjust brightness, contrast, saturation and other related parameters.
- You can save videos, including RTMP streams, and external resources required by SWF animations.
- It supports a wide range of audio & video formats including FLV, SWF, WMV, AVI, MOV, MP4, MP3, DAT, FLAC, M4V, MPG, MKV and more.
The next best video player for MAC is 5KPlayer. Using this video player you can watch any movie you want to watch flawlessly. 5KPlayer will allow you to view the movies in 4K, 5K, 1080p HD resolution also. Along with watching movies, you can use this video player to play your favorite music too in different file formats such as FLAC, MP3, APE, and AAC. You can also play songs on this software by connecting it with Apple Play.
Basically, 5KPlayer is a complete mixture of free (MKV) HD video player, music player, AirPlay media streamer and
online video downloader. Here are some most exclusive features of 5KPlayer:
- Play MP3 AAC APE FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- Have built-in AirPlay sender/receiver to stream audio video.
- Download online videos from YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo etc.
- 5KPlayer Supports Playing DVDs on Mac/PC
- Play 4K/5K/1080p HD videos, DVDs and radio with a revolutionary design.
(5) DivX Player
DivX Player is an award-winning video player software that allows you to play, create and stream their favorite videos, including DivX, MKV and HEVC up to 4K. DivX is one of the best video players for Mac as it supports playback of all the movies which are in ultra HD quality. If you like watching movies from the DVD’s then you need to try DivX. The software is available for free for MAC OS X.
Some of the most important features of DivX Player are:
- High-quality video playback up to 4K and streaming to devices
- It is completely optimized for movies, TV shows and web video clips
- It allows you to pick your scene and get organized with playlists (video library with custom playlists)
- Copy videos to CD, DVD and USB
- Stream videos to DLNA-compatible devices like Samsung 0003and LG TVs, gaming consoles, tablets and more
- Create and play videos with multiple audio and subtitle tracks in several formats
- Custom encoding settings in Converter: resolution, video bitrate, rotation, and HEVC encoding modes
- Advanced audio features (support for multiple audios)
- Even, you can easily keep track of what you watch
- Perfectly supports all the most popular formats, including AVI, DIVX, MKV, MP4 and much more
Perian is a free open source, QuickTime program that supports many popular media types, including AVI, DivX, and XviD. This video player is ideal for watching all the movies which are available in Quicktime file format. The software is open source which means you can download video player for mac for free. There are a lot of useful and advanced features present in Perian.
Some most interesting features of Perian are:
- Works with QuickTime 7.6.6
- Subtitle support for SSA/ASS, SAMI, and SRT
- Fairly compatible with MAC OS X 10.4.7 Or Higher versions
- Support wide range of media files like AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, VFW and many more
MPlayerX is the next player which makes to our list of video players for MAC OS X. MPlayer X is used by many MAC users. The reason behind this is that MPlayerX software has all the famous codecs which are used in video files. You can also watch movies online from streaming websites like Vimeo, Youtube as the video players for MAC allows you to watch online videos. You can download video player for MAC for free.
If you are looking for a simple, powerful, and beautiful video player for Mac OS X then MPlayerX is one of the most appropriate choices for you. Some most important key features of MPlayerX are:
- Multi-Screen & Fullscreen support.
- Apple Remote support, Multi-Touch support.
- Play online video in single click
- Automatic find next proper file to play.
- Having the ability to manually fix audio and video
- Change subtitle size while playing(except VOBSub)
- Remember last played time and resume playing.
- It can detect and convert the encoding method of the subtitle file automatically.
- System requirements for Mac version: Mac OS X 10.7 or later (Intel, 64-bit processor)
Movavi media player is also one of the most simple ways to play any video or audio on your Mac. If you want to download the best video players for MAC OS X, you should give a try to Movavi. This video player supports more than 50 file formats which will allow you to watch any movie. The interface of this video players for MAC is clean and user-friendly.
Some most valuable features of Movavi media player for Mac:
- Enjoy smooth HD video playback
- Play WMV video and WMA audio on your Mac
- Full with features and helpful video playing options
- Open media files of more than 50 formats: AVI, MOV, WMV, MKV, MP4, FLV, MTS, and more
- System Requirements for Mac version: Mac OS X 10.6 – 10.10 – 64-bit (Intel-based Mac computer)
(9) QuickTime Player
The next best video player for MAC OS X is QuickTime Player. The software is developed by Apple and is compatible with all the Apple laptops. If you want to watch QuickTime movies, you can use this video player. This good video player for MAC also supports playback of the MIDI files.
Some most well-known features of QuickTime player are:
- Playback of 30+ common audio and video formats
- Quick play, record, edit, and share audio and video files on your Mac.
- System requirements: Mac OS X 10.6.3 or later
- Support various languages
(10) GOM Player
The last player which makes to our list of the good video player for MAC is GOM Player. This video player is very easy to use and comes with good looks. All the famous video formats are compatible with this software. You can adjust the brightness, contrast, and even saturation while you are watching movies in GOM Player.
Some most important features of GOM Media Player are:
- GOM Media Player is completely free to download and use.
- Allows you to make customization according to your need
- Includes synchronization options
- Adjustable zoom and aspect ratio
- Codec finder will help you to search and download the missing codec.
- Advanced features like A-B repeat, screen capture, Media Player capture, playback speed control, and video effects etc.
- Ability to play all the most popular video formats by default: AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, WMV, MOV, and more!
If you are looking for a lightweight video player for Mac, VLC media player is the best player for your MAC OS X computer. All other video players will also perfectly help you in watching your favorite movies, and videos on Mac.
Please feel free to share your view with us using the comment section below – According to you, which is the best video player for Mac? which video player are you using on your MAC OS X?
Best Video Player For Mac
Read next:How to Watch 3D Movies on PC using VLC Media Player